Saturday, January 19, 2008

Grandma Phyllis

This morning we got the call that Dave's Grandma died. She had a stroke two weeks ago and was moved to a nursing home. This morning she had another one. She was 91. She was the youngest 91yr old women that I will ever know. We were lucky that we got to spend such a nice Christmas with her this year. I have so many fond and funny memories of Grandma Phyllis. These are just a few:

  • At Christmas this year she gave me 3 of her eye shadows. She said that they were too iridescent for her. She thought they made her wrinkles show too much.

  • She would always notice when I cut or highlighted my hair and she always complimented me.

  • She was a hunting widow for many years and she would always call me during hunting season to make sure I was OK.

  • She loved to shop and decorate and would always offer her opinion on my decorating. She was never afraid to tell me what she didn't like either...

  • She loved my mother-in-law more than anything in the world. They were the best of friends until this morning, talking on the phone many times each day.
  • She was very proud of the fact that dave had her blue eyes. And now Evan does too.
  • She loved her Great Grand Children very much! She loved taking pictures and recent stories of them to her weekly coffee with the girls.
  • She was so in love with her late husband. He died the summer before Dave and I were married so I didn't get the chance to know him very well. They were deeply in love with each other. She often reminded me how important it is to be kind to one another.
It's sad that she has gone to heaven, but there is something about today that makes me happy too. Dave's Uncle Steve died in his 30's and I know that Phyllis missed him very much. In my heart, I know they were reunited this morning and that makes me smile. I am glad that both of my children got the chance to know her and lover her. She will be missed.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. cairra

TBRKO said...

That's too bad Jenay. It's tough to see wonderful people leave this earth, even if they have lived a good life. May all your memories fill your heart with happiness now that she is in heaven.

Anonymous said...

Although I only had to honor to meet Phyllis a few times, she left a vivid image of a wonderful and happy person with a great sense of humor. My thoughts are with you and Dave's family. And I'm with you - Phyllis is now reunited with the loved ones that she has missed for so long. And I'm sure she's smiling!

Amanda