Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My attempt at a comeback...


This beautiful girl turned 6 last week. And what a week it was! The kids were both home on spring break so we made the most of our homecation. We did the zoo, the MOA, a movie, shopping, lunch, dinner and 2 birthday parties. After all of that, Emily still reminded me that we did not get a chance to get pedicures.... Enough, I say.

This birthday, like all of her birthdays was sentimental to me... We have had a tough year-to say the very least. However, we feel like we have turned the corner and things are going very well. We are happy that we faced Emily's challenges head on. We are happy that we chose medication over a special diet or certain therapies. She is thriving and even more importantly, she is happy with herself. At her conference last week, her teacher had only positive things to say about her. She was quick to let us know that Emily has really found herself and has been helping other students! Em is still busy and has a ton of energy, but has learned how to channel that energy. She loves to listen to her ipod or do crafts when she's feeling extra busy. Pixos have kind of become her outlet. It gives her the chance to get away from her little brother or even us. If you haven't been acquainted with pixos, i highly suggest looking into them. They have been great for Emily and they really are not that hard to do. She is also learning to read and enjoys sounding out every word she sees... and i mean every word...

She is still as sweet as pie to her brother. They get along better than i could have ever hoped. I am still waiting for the fighting that everybody is warning me about. Evan has recently become potty trained and Emily is his biggest fan. She is actually better at reminding him to go than Dave and I are.

She is becoming a little more girly each day. We have started wearing more dresses and we got her ears pierced. She wasn't going to get her ears pieced until she was a Mom, however, on a random Friday she decided they needed to be pierced. It was unbelievable how grown up she was about the whole thing. She has cleaned them twice a day since they were pierced 5 weeks ago.

She really does amaze me everyday. We have a lot in common and probably butt heads more than a mom and 6yr old should. But the love I feel for her is indescribable... She has taught me so much about myself. Some good, some not so good. I am always going to be challenged by her and I am ready for it.

Of course I can not sign off without mentioning our friends & family in Fargo/Moorhead. We have been praying for you all week. We even went to the library and checked out a book about floods. It's hard to describe to Emily what all is happening, but I think she has a pretty good idea. I have watched all of the Youtube Videos and the footage of the river is truly frightening. I feel for all of you that have been home with your children, as you have been out of school for so long. Just know you are in our thoughts and we hope the best for you.

2 comments:

TBRKO said...

What a beautiful tribute to your daughter. You need to print this and add it to her scrapbook. Welcome back Jenay. I missed you!

ABCDH said...

6 already?!?

We should take the girls to the Hannah Montana movie!
(unless you'd rather stab your eye out with a fork).