Friday, January 30, 2009

Transition

This was hard week. I know that many suffered the loss of their jobs and many waited to hear if they would be let go. You'd have to be living under a rock if you weren't aware of just how many jobs were lost this week. I have worked for the same company for 10yrs. I am extremely loyal to my company for many reasons, but will be forever grateful for one reason. They have given me the best of both worlds by allowing me to work PT after the birth of Emily. We closed 9 offices this week and they let 5 Sr. Vice Presidents go. Many of these were the individuals that built our agency and made it what it is today. In addition to this crazy sad news, one Sr. Vice President-my Sr. VP, resigned. He has decided now IS the time to follow a life-long dream of becoming a motivational speaker. Ryan Estis is the man that took a chance on me right out of college. (i did have a crappy bank job out of college for 3 months, but i don't count that!) He hired me over lunch, my first business lunch. I had no idea when i accepted his offer just how much i would learn from him. He taught me and all of my co-workers how to work hard, enjoy work & always strive for more. He had this way about always making you feel valued and appreciated. It's hard to believe that the Minneapolis office will still exist and move on without him. It will take some getting use to and I'm sure it will never be the same. Life is about taking chances and going for those dreams, another thing he has taught me even on his way out. Maybe a photography biz isn't that far out.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those people who are struggling with our current economy. It has really put things into perspective for me and I hope that our new President can turn things around.

1 comment:

RWS said...

You are right Jenay, this is a very scary time. I am so glad your job is stable. How can they get rid of the founders of a company? Jeez!