Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A different kind of post for me....

I write this post tonight with a heavy heart. I (we) have recently been challenged by our first born. Emily has always been a very energetic little girl, with a lot to say and not much of an attention span. ( A lot like her mom). We expected the sassy mouth and the independence to develop at some point… and it has. What I didn’t expect was the emotion that would come with that sass and independence. It’s hard for me to understand how her little mind works; it’s hard for me to know what’s an act and what she is really feeling.

In addition to this little attitude that has developed she has also developed an issue with her clothing. Examples: sleeve length, the seam on her socks, the way tights feel, how her shoes fit, wearing mittens. Each day the list of dislikes grows and each morning getting dressed becomes more challenging. I am of the opinion that she can have a choice in some matters, however, if you want to go to dance you must wear tights, on Christmas you are wearing dress shoes and in the winter we wear gloves. These are not choices for my four year old- they are the rules- period!

Emily has dance on Wednesday nights. I pick her up from daycare and we head straight to class. Last Wednesday we got to dance and put on our tap shoes. (The same shoes we’ve been wearing without a problem since September.) Immediately she started to complain about how her heel felt in the shoes. I went through my normal mom business of explaining why we have to wear tap shoes for tap class etc. In the blink of an eye, she immediately turned into someone else’s four year old! She threw herself on the ground in the (SMALL) waiting area, crying, kicking me, and I believe she even spit at me. I began to sweat! I was like, what are you doing??? She has NEVER and I mean NEVER acted this way, not even when she was two. I quickly pulled her into the bathroom and pretty much threatened her entire existence. After much embarrassment I caved and let her wear her ballet slippers for tap. After class we sat at the dinner table with Dave and talked about how unacceptable this behavior was and that it could never happen again. After dinner she was sent to bed without her beloved blanket.

Her sassy mouth and overall behavior did improve greatly for the remainder of the week and through the weekend.

Tonight I pick her up from daycare and we proceed to change into a new leotard and tights. I bought a new leotard to prevent the sleeve issue we’d been having with the other 3 that we own AND a new pair of tights that were a little longer to avoid that issue as well. Just as I pulled the tights up she went into the same tirade that we had the week before. Only this time in front of all the daycare families that were picking up their children. This one lasted a little longer and all I kept thinking through the entire tirade was, this is not the Emily I know. How can my Emily be so angry and so upset over wearing tights? It took the entire ride home to get her to settle down and I drove right past the dance studio. I was upset, she was upset and dance was the last place I was going to take her. Again, we sat with Dave and talked about the behavior and sent her to bed without the blanket at the early hour of 6:30.

Mothers… what advice do you have for me? Do I pull her out of dance because the clothing issue has become more of an issue than dance class itself? Or, is that giving in to her behavior? Am I over reacting? Have any of your girls/boys had issues with certain items of clothing and how did you handle it?

I can not seem to find an explanation for her drastic change in behavior and it’s concerning me. It breaks my heart to see her so angry. I don’t care if you read this blog and I don’t even know you, if you have advice or thoughts I welcome them! I know I have readers and stalkers because the ticker keeps growing. Please leave me a comment =)

7 comments:

Ria said...

Hi Jenay...
Not sure if I have a lot of advice, but just wanted you to know that it is not abnormal for kids to have tactile issues such as the ones you are describing. I'm sure you could research it on the internet and find some information about the best way to deal with it. IMO...if that is the way dance is going to go EVERY week, let it go. They are only little for so long and it is not worth it to put her through the obvious discomfort she is feeling. As for the getting dressed in the morning thing...hmmm. A little tougher. I'll let others weigh in on that one! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

I'm with ria if dance is like that let dance go. The dressing thing must be a girl thing. When my daughter was 4 1/2 5 she would do the same thing with the tights and other clothing. Sometimes she would change 2 or 3 times befor she went on the bus ! It does get better. Keep doing what you are doing. You sound like a great mom ! :) Sara

TBRKO said...

I have to be honest. My first reaction was, "This is the first time she has been this way??? How have you been so lucky!?!" I don't believe any child is 100% easy. We have had clothing battles, dance battles, hair battles, and pretty much any other one that could happen.
If the rule at dance says she needs tights, then she needs tights. Plain and simple. That is the case for Kate this year. Prior to that, there was no rule. So, she often chose how to dress. Did she look odd with her bizarre taste in clothes? Yes. Did I care? Not really. It might be worth the dance teacher mentioning to the whole class the importance of wearing the appropriate dance attire. In my experience, if kids are told by anyone other than mom or day, it works.
As for the tantrums, those tend to not bother me so much. Yes they are embarrassing, but kids sense when we are upset and just know to take it a step further. They can tell when what they are doing is working. My feeling is that she will continue to act that way at dance or anywhere so long as she a) gets what she wants that time or b) gets a reaction.
We are working very hard to not react to Ryan. It feeds him. We still do more than we should, but parenting is a work in process.
If it makes you feel any better, we are seeing a child psychologist with Ryan to deal with his behavior. I can't believe I am publicly writing that, but I just think that too many parents aren't honest about how tough the job of parenting really is. We have to work together!

Anonymous said...

Jenay--

I would love to talk on the phone and explain my thoughts. As a teacher/ principal I see this all the time. My first thought is there may be a sensory issue. Not sure but we could visit through email too. I just don't want to get into details on the blog. Since she is in school I would have the OT person give you a short check list that could rule out sensory. ttys cairra

Anonymous said...

Jenay-- keep your head up!!! YOU are a great MOM-- It will get better!! I promise. :) ttys cairra

TBRKO said...

You have me thinking....there have been so many days when I just think I am the worst parent. But hearing it come from someone else makes me feel less alone...not that you think you aren't doing things right, but it's good to know that I am not the only one who gets frustrated by these little people who we love with all our hearts!

ABCDH said...

Uh-oh, I hope I'm not a stalker! I logged on to your blog from Bonnie's one day and just linked on today randomly because I have some down time while my kids sleep. Forgive me, please!
I actually went to school with Dave and I really like your blog because we have children the same age.
Basically, I just wanted to SYMPATHIZE with you as my 4-year-old daughter has been acting the exact same way lately. Ironically, another pre-school mom and I were having this conversation just this morning! Kid you not, her daughter will only be naked - no clothes at all.
My feeling is this - at 4 years old our kids seem older than they are. But, they are still small children who go through phases. Just as my daughter used to be obsessed with digging in the garbage I feel that "this too shall pass"
Please feel free to view my blog - AJ - one of Bonnie's other links.