Friday, February 9, 2007

What I really do at work...


Did you know that in the next decade there will be over one million people over the age of 65 living in MN? Even with all the new workers coming out of high school and college, Minnesota will effectively lose 100,000 workers over the next couple decades. Kare 11 did an Extra on this very subject the other night...


When I first started this job, I worked for a recruitment ad agency. We designed cool help wanted ads and placed them in the newspaper every Sunday. Then came the internet boom, we started writing cool ads and placing them on Monster.com and Career Builder. Now, with tech savvy generation Y, we're using facebook, myspace and text messaging as mediums for recruitment messaging. And even still, companies cannot find enough qualified workers to fill their openings.


It is amazing how much my job has changed in only eight years. We are no longer an ad agency, we are now a full service HR consulting firm. The story Kare 11 did features my newest client, Jennie-O Turkey Store. It talks about how they have remained the top producer of Turkey in the World, despite the fact they are headquartered in a town in which the population was dying. Jennie-O could of placed help wanted ads in the newspapers until the cows came home, but they needed to extend their reach far beyond Wilmar or even MN! We have helped them to build a very successful employment brand and we're excited about their success.


The story goes on to highlight what MN will look like in the next 20 years. It's very interesting, as well as eye -opening. I can only imagine what my job will look like in 20 years.... If you have the time, watch the story. I have included the link below.


http://www.kare11.com/video/player.aspx?aid=42221&bw=

No comments: