The last of my Grandpas passed away yesterday. It was very unexpected. He was 88yrs old.He was always very sweet to me, especially when I was a kid. He & my Grandma lived in Iowa while I was growing up. When they would come to visit he would always and I mean always have a pack of hubba bubba gum in his front shirt pocket for my sister and I . He would also take us to the corner store multiple times to buy candy during visits. I can also remember how cool we thought we were when he and my Grandma would walk down to our elementary school to pick us up. They would walk us home with all of our friends and take us straight to the Dairy Queen. When we would go down to Iowa to visit, he would take us for rides around Waterloo on his little motorcycle. I can also remember raiding his peanuts as soon as we arrived. He didn't have much hair, but back in the day when it was the style to have a comb over, he'd let my sister and I do his hair. I can remember taking the little bit of hair he had and putting it in a pony tail. I am sure it was quite lovely, but he let us do it anyway. When Dave and I were first married he helped us out with lots of home improvements. He told me that I did good when I married Dave. My sister and I were his only grandchildren. I am so proud that I was able to make him a Great grandpa, as he loved my kids. Each time I was pregnant, he would tell me to take care of the baby in my belly. He was excited when I had Evan, as he only had two daughters and two grand daughters. Evan was the first boy and that made him extra happy! He will be missed, but i know that he died very quickly with very little pain. He would have wanted it this way. I will miss him.
5 comments:
Jenay - I am happy for you that you have so many fond memories of your Grandpa, and I am very sad for you to have this loss. I know you enough to say that the great memories will live with you and your children forever.
Sending hugs and prayers!
Jen
I am very sorry for your loss. No matter what the circumstances, it is always heartbreaking to lose someone you love so dearly.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. ~ Cairra
So many of your memories reminded me of my dear grandfather who passed away in 1985 when I was in third grade.
My condolences to you and your family.
i'm so sorry to hear this jenay - you guys are in my thoughts and prayers. i'm glad to see all your wonderful memories of him. take care.
Post a Comment